Robin's Breast Cancer Blog

This collection of messages was written as we've been dealing with Robin's breast cancer for several reasons: (1) To keep our friends ("extended family") up-to-date. (2) To educate folks about "the cancer trip". (3) To help us absorb what was happening, and purge any negativity that might affect Robin. Robin must maintain a positive, hopeful attitude, but with realistic understanding. We follow the mantra, "One day at a time", and trust that God will make good come from difficulty.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Robin Update -- Home Again -- 10-09-2011


On October 4th, I sent a short email message saying, "Just a quick note to tell you that Robin got home today. They said she would leave at 10:30 AM, and true to form, it took until 3:30 PM before she was able to leave. She will get IV antibiotics for seven days, three times a day."

Here is the rest of the story…

The last time I updated the Blog, Robin was still basically unconscious. She was starting to say phrases on Saturday night, when I wrote the entry, but they didn't make sense. There are some good stories about the whacky things Robin said, but I might get in trouble if I repeat them. I will say that she asked one of our good friends to have her single daughter bring the baby to visit. Our friend wondered if Robin knew something, and John received the "Evil-Eye." There are other stories, but you might need to ask Robin by phone. Anyway, Robin was able to start drinking water, which helped her tongue, which was dried and cracked after almost two days of unconsciousness.

On Sunday morning, I woke up about 6:00 AM and tried giving Robin some water. When I woke her, she started talking like she had never been sick. She wanted to hear the whole story about what had happened while she was out, and she was asking questions when I skipped details. It was amazing; like someone had turned on a light switch. I was supposed to leave to go to Mass, with John due to arrive within 30 minutes after I left, but I couldn't leave her side since she was finally awake after 60 hours. I got her breakfast and started feeding her (her hands were still shaky), and answered questions until John arrived. Later on Sunday, the doctor came to see Robin, and told her that the bug turned out to be ESBL-producing E.Coli (what did I tell them???), and they would be starting Robin on some targeted antibiotics that would help kill it faster. He told Robin that, when she arrived, he did not believe she would survive. I knew you folks were praying for her, so I had faith that she would pull through. I won't say that I wasn't scared, but I know she is tough and I had faith.

As I said, they soon started Robin on the new IV antibiotics, and she continued to improve. By Monday night, the infectious disease doctor said she could go home, but the floor doctor did not clear her until the next morning. The Tuesday delay in getting out of the hospital was because the hospice folks had worked out a way for Robin to get her IV antibiotics at home, but they couldn't get the drugs delivered until late afternoon. So, Robin had to stay long enough to get a dose in the hospital before going home. She finished her afternoon dose at 3:00, and the ambulance arrived to take her home about 3:30.

The antibiotics are given three times a day, and we have them spaced so that I don't have to get up in the middle of the night. That's nice. Last time it was four times a day (every six hours), so there was no way to avoid a break in sleep. Robin has steadily improved through the week.

On Friday night, we had a "Birthday Do-Over" with hot dogs, with all the fixin's, brownies, and ice cream (Blue Bell, of course) and watermelon (Robin's favorite vegetable) which came by special "Deacon Delivery." We opened all her cards and Becky read them to her. Robin was amazed by the number and the distance some had travelled. Some included original artwork, others had to really stretch to incorporate the "angel theme." Some were so funny we were rolling, and some were so touching that we could feel the love. A few folks sent gifts of angel statues, candle holders, stuffed animal angels, cookies, and an angel food cake "kit" with a pan and six boxes of cake mixes. Our sincere THANKS to all who helped make this a memorable birthday "do-over." (I don't think I will be thanking Robin for the memorable birthday; at least, it was memorable to me! She doesn't remember anything from that day.)

Once more, I ask you all to pray for Robin. She is doing much better, but her normal immune system is far too weak. Your prayers and God's Grace are Robin’s immune system now.

Thank You, once again! I will try to keep you up to date.

God Bless Y'all,

                  --- Larry, Robin, & John