Robin's Breast Cancer Blog

This collection of messages was written as we've been dealing with Robin's breast cancer for several reasons: (1) To keep our friends ("extended family") up-to-date. (2) To educate folks about "the cancer trip". (3) To help us absorb what was happening, and purge any negativity that might affect Robin. Robin must maintain a positive, hopeful attitude, but with realistic understanding. We follow the mantra, "One day at a time", and trust that God will make good come from difficulty.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shee-EEeee's Baa-AAaacCKkkk. --- 6/30/09


Robin FINALLY got released from the hospital today and is back home!

She called me about 9:30 this morning to tell me that they would release her at 11:00. I needed to be there at 10:00 for the discharge conference. Needless to say, since we are not yet "beaming" from place to place a la Star Trek, the best I could do was 10:30. Then the wait began…. Well, it wasn't too bad, since she was in the car by 12:10. But I DO spend a good part of my life waiting for that woman!!!

It took a while to get her in the house and settled, and to carry in all the crap she accumulated in the hospital over the week. Robin had called her attendant, Connie, to meet us at home, which was good, because I needed to go to the pharmacy to get prescriptions filled and materials for wound care. When I got back, I showed Connie how to dress the wound, since she will need to do it while I am at work.

What's next??? The wound needs to be dressed three times a day, or whenever it gets wet or messy from "nature calls." To keep her dry, I figure I'll need to get her up every hour and a half all night long. She goes to see her oncologist, Dr. McClure, in one week, and she will see her Favorite surgeon, Dr. Mason, in two weeks.

Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. Don't stop now! She still has a long way to go. But at least she's home!

Love to all,
--- Larry, Robin, & John